Luxury Self Catering
Paul & Georgiana Keane have spent the past few years making Inish Beg the pinnacle of luxury self catering accommodation in Ireland. This has been confirmed by the outstanding comments that have been left by our guests, the high percentage of return bookings we receive throughout the year, and the receipt of two of the most prestigious awards in Irish tourism: Overall National Winner in the Irish Rural Tourism Awards 2004 and Best of Bridgestone 2005.
Read what the press says about our Irish Holiday Cottages & Homes
“We acquired The Inish Beg Estate, in an overgrown and neglected state in September 1997. The intervening years have seen many changes and developments, with more planned as the Estate is being gradually brought back to life.” – Paul Keane
The history of Inish Beg Island goes back to ancient times – you can see the remains of a Cromlech in a field to your left as you drive out, and Souterrains have also been found. The Estate today comprises 97 acres, at the eastern end of the Island:
- 42 of these are birdsong-filled woodlands which are being sympathetically managed.
- 42 acres are green fields sweeping down to the Ilen Estuary where sheep and ponies graze, an porridge oats is grown, for this is a working farm run on organic principles.
- The remaining 13 acres is taken up with buildings; leisure complex including heated indoor pool and steam room, gardens, a walled garden, an orchard, an apiary, and a fowl enclosure.
Inish Beg House itself is at the heart with 9 self-catering properties spaced near and far across the Estate; The Garden Retreat in the West Wing of Inish Beg House, 5 Courtyard Cottages surround the old stable yard; The Boat House is right on the Ilen River; The Lodge sits in the corner of a far pasture field; and The Foresters House is, as you would expect, deep in the woodland. The accommodation won the 2004 All-Ireland Rural Tourism Award. Each unit has its own individually designed garden, garden furtniture and barbecue.Under the direction of architect Tony Cohu the building team have restored Inish Beg House and estate buildings. Around the estate, ruins of old cottages and outbuildings have been transformed into luxury self catering accommodation. Any new construction has been carefully undertaken to fit into the special setting of Inish Beg, using traditional materials and design ideas.
- The original stable block has been converted into the Courtyard Holiday Cottages.
- The Lodge Self Catering Cottage has been constructed on the site of an earlier ruined cottage whose stone has been used to face the new lodge.
- The ruins of the former Boathouse have undergone a metamorphosis into a Luxury Holiday Home.
- The Foresters House Self Catering Cottage is an idyllic wooden clad house, with deck overlooking the estuary andset in its own 10 Acre Woodland.
The Inish Beg Building and Maintenance Team:
Jim Dineen, Finbarr Harte, and Anelly Tonisson
The Gardens & Woodlands
With the help of a team of gardeners and woodsmen, led by the well known garden designer Verney Naylor, they have replanted the extensive gardens, developed two new woodland gardens, a sunken garden with fountain, two ponds and they have restored the orchard.The walled garden too has been restored. Here you will find a beautifully designed indoor swimming pool.
The farm and gardens provide ample produce for the Estate. Beekeeping has evolved beyond a hobby and the Keane’s now produce and sell their own Inish Beg Honey. Read more about farming and horticulture on Inish Beg
Paul & Georgiana have overseen widespread replanting in the woodland and have had extensive carriage drives built around the estate for you to enjoy on foot or in their horse drawn miniature carriage, when available, while enjoying the luxury of the self catering accommodation during your holidays at Inish Beg Estate. Read about bird watching & other wildlife at Inish Beg.
The Inish Beg Gardening and Woodland Staff:
Tony O’Mahony and Victoria Besham (Head Gardeners)
Teddy O’Donoghue, William O’Sullivan, Dick Versloys, Donatas Klumbys and David Herlihy
Verney Naylor – Garden Designer – Tel: 027 61031
Anthony Cohu – Architectural, Landscape and Interior Design – Tel: 027 66042